History of piped water supply system development in Nepal dates back to 1895 A.D., when the first Bir Dhara system (1891-1893) was commissioned. The system also led to establishment of Pani Goshowara Adda and it provided limited private and community standpipes in few selected parts of Kathmandu. The water service were then gradually extended to few other prominent places like Amalekhgunj, Birgunj, Palpa and Jajarkot . The sector received a fair priority in the First Five Year Development Plan, which started in 1956, but the sector activities were placed under the Department of Irrigation for a long while until the Department of Water Supply and Sewerage (DWSS) was formally established in 1972. Since it's establishment the department has been providing lead inputs in the development of water supply and sanitation programs throughout the country.
977 1 4413744,4418253